Wednesday, May 18, 2016

May 18: Pope Saint John I

History

John was only pope for a little less than three years, from 523 to 526. He was a very frail man when he was elected, but the emperor at that time sent him all the way to Constantinople anyway, on a peace-seeking mission. Everything went very well – maybe too well, because the emperor decided that Pope John must have been conspiring against him with the ruler of Constantinople. When Pope John returned to Italy, he was arrested, and he died in prison.  

Activity

Pope John I wasn’t strong or powerful, but God didn’t need him to be anything other than faithful. That’s why Pope John was able to do such good work for the Lord. Today, memorize I Corinthians 2:9, “ And He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”  

Pope Saint John I, pray for us!


More reading for parents:

No comments:

Post a Comment