Friday, January 23, 2015

January 23: St. Ildephonsus

"Presentation of the
Chasuble to St. Ildephonsus"

History

Even though his father objected, Ildephonsus became a monk when he was a young man. He studied under St. Isidore of Seville and later became the head of his monastery. Ildephonsus wrote books, hymns and prayers. He did such amazing work that once the Blessed Virgin appeared to him and gave him a chasuble (cloak to wear at Mass) from heaven. 

Activity

Today, pray this beautiful prayer that St. Ildephonsus wrote:
Virgin Mary, hear my prayer: 
through the Holy Spirit 
you became the Mother of Jesus; 
from the Holy Spirit may I too have Jesus. 
Through the Holy Spirit your flesh conceived Jesus; 
through the same Spirit may my soul receive Jesus. 
Through the Holy Spirit you were able to know Jesus, 
to possess Jesus, 
and to bring him into the world. 
Through the Holy Spirit may I too come to know your Jesus.
Imbued with the Spirit, 
Mary, you could say: 
"I am the handmaid of the Lord, 
be it done unto me according to your word"; 
in the Holy Spirit, 
lowly as I am, 
let me proclaim the great truths about Jesus. 
In the Spirit you now adore Jesus as Lord 
and look on Him as Son; 
in the same spirit, 
Mary, let me love your Jesus

Saint Ildephonsus, pray for us!

More reading for parents:

Catholic Encyclopedia

No comments:

Post a Comment